A series of reviews of theatre programmes
Before the Party by Rodney Ackland, 2013 Production at The Almeida
From the ticket booth before the performance on 5th April 2013
44 including cover. 7 pages of adverts; 21 pages of production specific information; there are no adverts in the production section.
- None – all very dull – restaurants, estate agents and reinsurance
3 pages of sketches for costume design, 4 pages of rehearsal photos and cast head shots.
- 1 page brief biography of playwright
- 1 page timeline of playwright’s life and historical events
- 1 page, short essay on the playwright and list of works
- 1 page essay on black market economy
- 2 page excerpt from a 1949 piece on cocktail parties
- 3 pages of sketches for costume design
- 4 pages of rehearsal photos
- 3 pages cast credits and head shots
- 3 pages of creative team credits
- Remainder lists donors and adverts
I liked the style and presentation of the programme as well as the essays which gave a nice bit of context to the play without giving much away. The design sketches were a nice touch, as although there weren’t any photos of the production itself when combined with the rehearsal photos remind you of the feel of the play.
4 out of 5 – A very good value programme with some nice design touches and plenty of interesting material to read on the tube on the way home. Let down by a veeeeery long name of donors and patrons without the upside of amusingly ostentatious/pretentious adverts for girls’ day schools.